16. November 2019 - 8:45 till 15:00
Refugee Support - Basic Training - November 16, 2019 | Olivet Baptist Church | Saturday, 16. November 2019
Join Journey Home Community for a fun-filled, interactive day of learning
8:45 am - Registration and morning refreshments (coffee and pastries)
9:00 am - Training Begins - Lunch and snacks will be provided throughout the day
3:00 pm - Wrap up
Registration Deadline: Registration will close on November 14 at 11:00 pm so we can make sure we have prepared enough materials and refreshments for the training event.
This training event is for two groups of people:
1) Individuals or groups volunteering with Journey Home Community (complimentary registration). This includes church/community partners in JHC's "Communities of Welcome for Refugee Claimants" initiative.
2) Individuals or groups (not formally partnering or volunteering with Journey Home) who are interested in learning about refugee claimants and welcoming refugees. ($60 registration fee - see below for details)
Whether you have experience in sponsoring refugee families or have never been involved, this training is for you. Come and broaden your imagination, strengthen your practice, and inspire your mission.
What you will Experience and Learn:
• Introduction to the Refugee Community
• Canada’s Refugee Protection System
• Accompaniment and Support for Refugee Families
• Experiencing the Refugee Journey
• Building Healthy and Supportive Relationships
• Providing Resettlement Support
What is the goal?
At the end of the day, you and your group will be better equipped to welcome refugee claimant families into our community.
What is the cost?
1) For Journey Home Community volunteers/volunteer applicants: The training is complimentary (all costs covered).
2) For churches/groups who are in a formal partnership with Journey Home Community: The training is complimentary (all costs covered).
3) All others are welcome, but we ask you to pay $60.00 to help us cover the costs of delivering this training. Please contact email@example.com for details.
Can you accommodate special dietary request related to food sensitivities or allergies?
We will do our best. Make sure to indicate what food(s) you are allergic or sensitive to on your registration form and we will do our best to accommodate you.
Are there minimum age requirements to enter the event?
Some of the content covered includes discussions about refugee-related trauma and post-traumatic stress disorder. This event is best for individuals over the age of 16.
Can I update, change or cancel my registration?
Yes, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you need to make any changes.
What if I will be late or need to leave early?
The information covered builds throughout the day. We believe the activities and information covered in basic training will assist you to develop healthy and supportive relationships with the refugee community. Therefore, it is important that you try to attend for the entire day. If your schedule requires some flexibility - email brad@